Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Day one of the High Court hearing 6 september 2005

The first day, 6 September, at the High court in Canberra was very encouraging - the transcript was availbale at 4.30 pm here in Perth Western Australia.
we were particularly encouraged by the statement below - from Justice Kirby -

KIRBY J: "Yes, but Mr Walker, I have often, over 25 years in criminal appeals, pointed to my associates and said you mark that you mark the way the Crown did that because that was done out of its sense of a duty of fairness, and here we have a catalogue of things that were not put before the jury which do not seem to accord with the standard of the fair presentation of an honest presentation of the case.
I have to say that in this case there were things, deleted things, suppressed things not put forward and it leaves one with a real sense of disquiet – it leaves me with a real sense of disquiet and does not seem to conform in its totality with the normal way in which the Crown prosecutes in this country."


That the verdict against Andrew was unjust is very clear - there was so much to create doubt as to the fairness of Andrew's trial that acquittal was the only request that Andrew's legal team could make of the High Court.

1 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I have been scanning the transcripts and see the justices are convening again today (Wednesday). I am anxiously awaiting their verdict. Can we dare to hope this time that Andrew's innocence will finally be believed?
Andrew has been in my thoughts all day. (I have been writing to him and am a volunteer at Fair Trials Abroad.)
With my best wishes to you.
Catherine in London

 

Post a Comment

<< Home